The dishwasher is one of the many convenient appliances that is designed to alleviate many of the tasks that take up valuable time. But when your dishwasher isn’t cleaning the dishes efficiently, it can take you more time than it should. The good news is your dishwasher probably doesn’t need any repairs, it’s likely the hard water cycling through the dishwasher that is preventing the dishes from getting cleaned effectively. If you notice the any of these below red flags put out by the dishwasher, you likely have hard water.
Signs of Hard Water Dishwasher Problems
– Abnormal smells coming the dishes. After they’ve gone through a cleaning cycle, hard water will leave a smell on the dishes that is fairly distinct. It derives from a metallic smell that is left behind from the hard water; making the dishes quite unpleasant to even use.
– Cloudy or filmy dishes after a cleaning cycle. The glasses and silverware that have a haze left behind is actually hard water salts that are left behind when the water evaporates off from the dishes. These salt mineral deposits are not only left behind on the dishes, but they are also building up inside the interior surfaces of your dishwasher. The salt deposits will eventually cause rust, which will then expedite the decay of expensive components such as the heating elements and pump.
– Excess use of detergent. The combination of smells and excess film on the dishes will promote the use of using more detergent than necessary. Though it may seem like an obvious solution, it is important that you resist because you will just contribute to the soap scum buildup, making the dishes even more of a challenge to clean. Additionally, the cost of using more detergent will add up.
– Soap scum buildup. When combined with cleaning products, the minerals in hard water have a hard time forming a solution; as a result, a scaly white substance of soap scum is left behind on your dishwasher. This soap scum will buildup on nearly every surface of your dishwasher and prevent the dishes from getting completely cleaned and sanitized, leaving traces of bacteria.
– Dishwasher needs to be replaced too soon. A rather costly indicator is a dishwasher needing replaced too soon. A normal dishwasher lasts between 9 and 11 years, depending on the quality and care. If the lifespan is extremely cut down from the hard water detrimentally affecting your dishwasher, it will lead to repairs, increased utility bills and finally the end of your dishwasher.
Water Softeners & More in Golden Gate Estates, Naples, Cape Coral, Fort Myers & Lehigh Acres, Florida
Remember if you are experiencing these issues with your dishwasher, the hard water is likely the culprit and this is just what it is doing to the dishwasher and your dishes. Hard water takes a toll on all of your water appliances, plumbing, clothing, and even your skin and hair from the mineral deposits interfering. The optimal solution is call AAA Water Team to have our specialists fit your home for a water softener system that you can indulge in many benefits.